Durham School Services, a national leader in student transportation, operates bus services for Ames Community School District. The District provides transportation either directly or by reimbursement according to state law and Board Policy 711.1, for all resident students, preschool through 12th grade, who qualify.
Notification of Bus Issues and Route Delays
Parents and guardians whose children ride the bus can sign up for alerts about route delays and other issues specifically affecting their children
- Elementary students must live more than two miles from the school designated for attendance.
- Other factors may determine a student’s eligibility for transportation. The District determines eligibility for transportation as students register for transportation services and only makes changes in eligibility at the start of the school year or second semester.
- Families MUST apply for busing during registration and re-enrollment each year, even if they applied for busing in the past.
- Please note that applications received later than one week before the start of school are considered late. Students whose applications are late will NOT be allowed to ride the bus until after Labor Day.
- Discretionary transportation service may be available at a fee approved annually by the Board.
- Single Student – $177.40/semester
- Second Student – $132.95/semester
- Third Student – $106.45/semester
- Year annual cost (single student) – $354.80
- Single Student – $106.45/semester
- Second Student – $79.77/semester
- Third Student – $63.87/semester
- Year annual cost (single student) – $212.90
Those students who qualify for Free and Reduced Meals and fill out the waiver can have the results applied to busing.
Bus Rules and Procedures
The safety of each child who rides the school bus depends on the cooperation and skills of students, parents and school bus operators. We encourage families to review this information and discuss it with their children, emphasizing that good conduct is important for safety.
School bus drivers have the same authority as classroom teachers. They may give instructions, assign seats, and initiate disciplinary measures.
Students are not allowed to use bus transportation to ride to a friend’s home that is not on their assigned route.
Rules for Behavior
- Be on time for boarding the bus. A good rule of thumb is to be three minutes early. The bus driver will not wait for students who are not at the bus when it is scheduled to depart.
- Promptly follow the bus driver’s directions and pay attention to instructions when students are getting on and off the bus.
- Find your seat promptly and remain seated at all times.
- Keep your hands and feet to yourself.
- Talk in normal tones and refrain from loud, boisterous behavior or other distracting activity.
- Do not eat or drink while on the bus
- Using tobacco products is not allowed.
- Using derogatory or vulgar language is not allowed.
- Acting in any manner that is harmful to, or disrespectful of other students, adults or property will not be tolerated.
Rules for Safety and Etiquette
- Be on time. Bus drivers will not sound the horn or wait for students who are not at the bus at the time scheduled for departure.
- Stay off the street and stand at least five feet from the curb while waiting for the bus.
- Respect private property on the way to and around your bus stop.
- Look to the driver for permission to cross the street and always cross at least 15 feet in front of the bus.
- Keep hands, feet and personal belongings out of the bus aisles at all time.
- Don’t board the bus with personal articles such as skateboards, pets or objects too large to fit on your lap or under the seat.
- Place musical instruments under your seat or hold them on your lap. Most buses will reserve an instrument seat for instruments too large to hold or place under the seat. Instruments that don’t fit on the seat such as cellos or bass violins must be transported by parents. A list of buses that are too full for an instrument seat will be posted at each school. The District, the bus driver, and Durham School Services are not liable for damage or loss of instruments transported on the school bus.
- Letter of concern to parents/guardians
- Letter of misconduct
- One day suspension of bus riding privileges
- Three day suspension of bus riding privileges
- Six day suspension of bus riding privileges
- Suspension of bus riding privileges for remainder of semester
Teaching & Learning Assistant; Transportation Coordinator
If at any time your student will not be riding the bus as scheduled, please notify Durham School Services: 515-233-5424.